WORDS OF BOATING WISDOM
An Accident at Sea can ruin your whole day!
How to Avoid Trouble
For your safety and the safety of your passengers:
- Take a nationally recognized boating course.
- Get a free Courtesy Marine Exam from the Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Fill your fuel tanks.
- File a float plan.
- Ensure your engine is properly tuned.
- Check your engine compartment for fumes.
- Instruct your passengers on basic safety procedures.
- Always have everyone wear life jackets (PFDs).
- Check your safety equipment:
- Life jackets (PFDs)
- Fire extinguishers
- Anchor & line
- Basic tools & spare parts
- Flares & sound signal device
- Compass & chart
- First aid kit
- Paddle & bailer
- lights & flashlight
- Think safety while boating and practice good seamanship.
The above message was taken from "Getting Help on the Water" from the U. S. Coast Guard.
Return to Boating Education Page
Return to Maritime History Main Page